Whenever it gets to be crunch time before a show, I usually run out of time to take photos of projects.
Even though I sold most of what I took with me to Molly Mo's, these two pieces were ones I really wanted to highlight here on the blog and never got to.
These two came home with me after the market, so I had a bit of time yesterday to do a little photo shoot.
Several of you asked me after the show if the trumeau mirror sold, and were surprised to hear it did not.
I'm not worried about it, I promise!
It's a beautiful and unique piece, and I know the right buyer is out there.
Here's the story behind these two beauties.
I bought these totally separate from each other over the last few months.
The chair has actually been waiting in the wings since maybe January?
I knew the look I wanted for it, but was waiting for the right upholstery to give me the green light.
The shape was gorgeous, and I loved all the detail, but it was in pretty sad shape when I bought it. Badly stained upholstery and stripped wood.
As you can see, it's not vintage- in fact I'm pretty certain it's very new, but I knew it would look gorgeous in an old world finish.
I gave it two coats of Annie Sloan's Old White, and then put on a coat of clear wax.
Before I buffed it in, I put on a heavy layer (in sections) of dark wax.
You can see where it just has paint, and where the waxing has been done.
After the dark wax was applied, I would give it a buffing, but then apply another thin layer of clear wax to blend in the dark and then buff it so it wouldn't look so heavy and streaky.
It's kind of like erasing.
Lots of buffing, and you can see how the dark wax just begins to give it a patina finish.
And yes, that's the original upholstery.
Once the paint and wax were done, I added the upholstery.
I had ordered a burlap walnut bag from France, and was very excited to use the L France as a feature on the seat back.
It was pretty musty, so I decided to launder it before I cut it up for the chair.
I had a sneaking suspicion that the ink might wash off, and it did.
I was so sad. It was still kind of faint, so I tried touching it up with acrylic paint, but it didn't last either.
You can still see a hint of some numbers on the bottom of the seat back, so I guess it's ok, but not what I was hoping for.
I'm glad the red stripes were still there!
I trimmed out the edges with white gimp and hot glue, and it looks beautiful!
The seat back is upholstered in the same fabric and trimmed out the same way.
For the seat, I used natural drop cloth.
I don't know about you, but no matter how soft you can make burlap with washing, it's still scratchy, and I don't want to sit on it, so I don't want you to either!
It's one of my favorite upholstery and paint jobs.
I think this would be so pretty at a vintage writing desk.
Part two is the trumeau mirror.
In my limited years of treasure hunting, I've never come across a trumeau mirror.
I paid quite a bit more than I normally would, but it was so special, I thought it was worth it.
The features were pretty, but it had paper calligraphy under glass on the top portion, and it looked out of place for a mirror like this.
I also liked the shabby chic white look, but the paint job wasn't great, and I decided to give it a complete new look.
I removed the cardboard calligraphy art, and added in a thin piece of plywood in the upper portion. I cut it to size using a table saw, and then glued it into place.
Once that was dry, I added some rubber appliqués to the face of it.
These are highly detailed and super easy to apply.
Just position it where you want it, add some wood glue to the back, and allow to dry, just like a wood appliqué. You can always sand the back of it a bit if you need better adhesion.
A word of caution: do not let these sit on glossy or veneer finishes.
I set a strip of moulding on our dining room table while I was waiting to use it on a previous project, and it left a shadow mark on the table. If you take it out of the package, set it on a non porous surface before using.
Overall, this is the third time I've used these on a project, and they work great.
They really add a rich element to whatever you use them on.
The mirror got taped off and I painted two coats of Annie Sloan's Duck Egg Blue over the frame and appliqués.
Once the paint was dry, I applied a coat of clear wax.
Next, I got out my tube of Antique Gold Rub n Buff, and using a clean rag, I applied the gold wax on the appliqués and select trim of the mirror.
I also used a small artist's brush to touch up the very delicate and detailed portions.
It was so much fun watching this develop!
I was working on it during the evening next to the family room, and was pretty giddy about how yummy it was turning out.
If it sounds funny, it was.
Jon and Hannah kept looking at me like I needed to take a chill pill.
But they also thought it looked nice too.
Two French makeovers that went from blah to oh la la, with a little paint and rich updates.
If you have any questions on something I missed here, feel free to ask in the comments or on my Facebook page!