Since the new cabinet made it's way into our master bedroom, replacing our dresser- I have been playing 'musical furniture'. Our dresser is now going into Hannah's room, and her dresser made it's way to our entry way. I love this old thing.
Jon had it as a kid, and it was our first dresser as newlyweds. Back in the day (1992) we painted it navy blue to go with our burgundy and navy master bedroom colors. (yeah. gotta love the 1990 color schemes...)
When Hannah came along, we got a bigger dresser and gave her ours. It was painted white to go with all of the nursery.
I've long admired the look of dressers in entryways. It's very homey.
Once I brought it down and had it in place, my plan was to shabby it up a bit. It didn't need much, since it was in a kid room! :)
But, the more I started to work on it, an idea started brewing and, this is what I did:
Miss Mustard Seed is definitely my blog hero, and I love so many of her Euro inspired pieces.
I want our home to have a romantic, bohemian, European feel to it. (and a little beach casual thrown in....) so, here's a nod to that.
Here's the techniques that I used.
Nothing too technical or high brow- it's just what I do that works for me!
This was pretty worn down- I didn't do much to prep it, because when I started, my only intention was to leave it white and distress it a bit.
(sorry, I forgot to take a before pic, but there is one of the dresser 'before' if you look in my November archives under Tween Girl bedroom makeover Part 1...)
Once I had the idea in my head, I sanded just the edges of the whole dresser.
Next, I hopped on the computer and printed out my lettering. I used two different fonts- mostly because I didn't like how one looked in caps.
I transferred the lettering onto the drawers:
Painted the lettering on (I know my strokes aren't that great, but you'll see why I don't mind in a sec) and then used my 'happy accident' distressing technique that I used on my other dresser makeover- Clorox cleaning wipes. I was just using craft paint for the lettering- Americana Burnt Umber. When you wipe it down, it takes off some of the paint.
Kinda cool, huh?
Then, I used my Delta Home Decor liquid wood stain, mixed with a tiny bit of water and brushed it randomly all over the dresser fronts.
With a slightly damp rag, I wiped most of it off, and left a little more on in certain spots.
The side insets really needed something, and at first I thought I'd do some book pages, but it didn't look right. It needed color. I even looked at some vintage British maps I happened to have, but still didn't love it. I just decided to paint some more. This aqua has been used a lot around here- it was the color I used on our coffee table, and Hannah's bedroom wall color. It's Valspar's Crystal Aqua in Eggshell.
A quick coat, with a little bit of the white peeking through.
I wiped some of it off with a damp rag, and then used the same watered down wood stain on the insets- again, wiping most of it off with a damp rag.
I finished off the piece with a clear sealer so that it would stay as is!
The glass knobs were added too, and I think it's a nice sparkle to all of the distressed look.
I plan on using this for storage for most of our dining room linens, as well as last minute, out-the-door items.
I just love it!
Have a fabulous weekend~