Things have been moving right along with the room, and I was hopeful I might even have it 'done' by the end of the weekend, but there's still some more finishing touches that are a little time consuming. But, it is really feeling light, bright, fun and more organized!
I finished the skirt for my sewing table.
My utility table that I got at Big Lots a couple years ago for $19.99. Not very pretty.
Here was the side view before:
Ugly legs and trash bin are hidden!
The fabric I used was a Robert Kaufman. It's called Hints of Prints.
It's really sweet, and reminds me of something from the 40's or 50's.
It was relatively simple to make. I measured the drop from the edge of the table to the floor, and then around the edge of the table for the width and doubled it for a fuller look.
For the floor-side seam, I used my Heat N Bond tape. It gives a nice, crisp edge to it; plus it helped speed up the project since it's an iron on tape.
I sewed the top edge seam. I didn't use the Heat N Bond tape for the top because it would have been too bulky and heavy for the ruffled edge and the ball fringe.
I ran a long basting stitch to give me the ruffle.
I needed 36" in length, so I measured and pulled the thread and fabric accordingly.
Then I sewed the ruffled fabric into place and pinned and sewed the ball fringe to the edge.
Once that was done, I just used some sticky back Velcro tape and pressed both sides together. I stuck the whole thing right onto the edge of the table.
Here's another close up of the finished edge:
And you may remember my teaser about the gun rack. I saw a fabulous idea for a ribbon organizer on Sassy Sites! and I knew I had to be on the lookout for a gun rack / ribbon organizer of my own!
As I said last week, I picked up this guy for $3.99.
Here's my new ribbon rack! I love it!
Thanks Marni for sharing your fantastic idea!!
I had a couple differences with my project.
As I was getting ready to paint it, I noticed that the slots weren't level.
No biggie, I thought, I'm drilling holes anyway.
The drill bit and the rack didn't play nice together and about the time the bit was supposed to go through it snapped off the rack. GRRRRR!!!! I had to glue it back on, add wood filler to a couple gaps and repaint it.
It's functional, and it will do the job, but I hope next time (or if I need to find a bigger rack for more spools in the future) that the drill bit and rack will get along better.
When I bought the piece, the bottom left rack was already broken off, so I used the one side to hang some scissors to cut the ribbon. Despite my troubles with it, I love having these out and in a more usable fashion!
If you plan on making one, a 3/8" dowel accommodates most ribbon spool holes.
I think it will be funny to see all of us crafty girls clamoring for gun racks at the Goodwill's around the nation!
I've got more to do- here's a look at the shabby chic fabric for my curtains that I'm working on: